Tuesday 18 January 2011

heart granny square :: a pattern ::

Granny square pattern with a little something different. This heart centred crochet granny square would make a gorgeous afghan blanket.


Please note this pattern is written here in english crochet terms,  which differ from american crochet terms, there is a fabulous table here which gives translations of all the stitches I've use here.

ingredients ::

3 x contrasting balls of double knit weight yarn.

    I used stylecraft special double knit 100% acrylic in cream (A) pale rose (B) and raspberry (C)

4 mm crochet hook

Abbreviations ::

ch        -    chain

ss        -    slip stitch

dc        -    double crochet

htr      -    half treble

tr         -    treble

dtr      -    double treble  

method ::

using yarn A chain 4 join with ss




chain 3 (counts as first treble) 2 tr in to middle of ring, *2ch 3 tr, repeat from * a further 2 times, 2 chain, join to top of first chain with a ss.

DSC_0004
round 2 ::

ss across 2 trebles and ss in to next 2 chain space, chain 3, counts as first treble, 4 tr in to 2 chain space, 1 ch, 3 tr 2ch 3tr in to next 2 chain space (this will be the bottom tip of the heart), 1 ch, 5 tr in to next 2 chain space, 4 ch, 5 tr in to next 3 chain space, 4 chain, join to top of first treble with ss.

DSC_0006
 round 3 ::

chain 1, dc in top of next 4 trebles, dc in to 1 chain space, dc in top of next 3 trebles, 3dc 2ch 3dc in to 2 chain space (this is the bottom tip of the heart) dc in top of next 3 trebles, dc in 1 chain space, dc in top of next 5 trebles, 2 htr 2 tr 2 dtr 2 tr 2 htr in next 4 chain space, ss in top of third treble, 2 htr 2 tr 2 dtr 2 tr 2 htr in next 4 chain space, join to first double with ss.

Fasten off.

DSC_0007
round 4 ::

DSC_0013
join yarn B between the 2 double trebles at top right of heart, chain 3 (counts as first treble) 2tr 2ch 3tr in to space between 2 double trebles, 1ch, 3tr in to third space along, 1ch, 3dtr in to third space along, 1ch, 3tr in to third space along, 1ch, 3tr 2ch 3tr in to space between 2dtr from previous round, 1ch, 3dc in to third space along, 1ch, 3htr in to third space along, 1ch, 3tr in to third space along, 1ch, 3dtr 2ch 3dtr in to third space along, 1ch, 3tr in to third space along, 1ch, 3dc in to 2 chain space at bottom of heart, 1ch, 3tr in to third space along, 1ch, 3dtr 2ch 3dtr in to third space along, 1ch, 3tr in to third space along, 1ch, 3htr in to third space along, 1ch, 3dc in to third chain along, 1ch, join with ss to first treble.

DSC_0016
round 5 ::

 4 ch (counts as first treble and 1 chain space), *3tr 2ch 3tr in to 2 chain space, 1ch, 3tr 1ch in to each of next 1 chain spaces, of which there should be 4, repeat from * twice more, 3tr 2ch 3tr in to 2 chain space, 1ch 3tr in to next three 1 chain spaces, 1ch, 2tr in to next 1 chain space join to third chain of original 4 chain.

DSC_0020
Fasten off.

round 6 ::

DSC_0023
Join yarn C in to 2 chain corner space, 3ch (counts as first treble) 2tr 2ch 3tr in to 2 chain corner space, 1ch 3tr in to each of next 1 chain spaces, of which there should be 5, * 1ch 3tr 2ch 3tr in to 2 chain space, 1ch 3tr in to each of next 1 chain spaces, of which there should be 5, repeat from *  twice more, 1ch, join to top of first treble with a ss.

Fasten off.

DSC_0026
Weave in any loose ends and admire your handy work!





15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this unique lil' heart granny! I made a couple now, and love this pattern! So easy...even though it looks a bit on the challenging side. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ever so much for sharing your cute little granny pattern. This in going to be the next square I'll be making in my 'A Granny A Day' crochet - along with Meet Me At Mikes. I'll be sure to link it back to your blog. Happy hooking
    Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias por compartir el patrón de este esmoso granny.... ya me estoy inspirando en una manta maravillosa para este invierno!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this totally cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. would you be able to post this on youtube showing how you make it? I would appreciate it thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet and great tutorial. Thank you!
    I think this would make a nice bunting pattern. I'm going to adapt the pattern to make it into a triangle and see what happens. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I post it on my blog, I will totally give you credit

      Delete
    2. Absolutely, sounds like a lovely idea...especially in time for valentines day x

      Delete
  7. Olá Vickie,
    Muito lindo!!!
    OBRIGADA!!!
    Beijinhos de Portugal
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad to find the instructions for this granny heart square,at first the pin I saw did not link ...(from 2011..lilleytypepad(??). But it is perfect for me to make for a friends newborn baby, and the one of SO many I've looked at for just the "right one".I can now enjoy making it with a happy heart! Thanks for putting the pattern here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know why but it seems I can pick up knew patterns best when I see them being done on YouTube versus trying to read a pattern .. Your work is beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know why but it seems I can pick up knew patterns best when I see them being done on YouTube versus trying to read a pattern .. Your work is beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see NO Hook suggestion or size this was meant to be??. Would love to know. TY as this was a challenge in reading and survived. Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm making a king size afghan for my daughter and son in law. I'm combining patterns and I've tried several heart patterns and this one will be perfect. When I post pictures I'll be sure to give you credit. Thank you for ssharing!

    ReplyDelete